0 9678 777 000 5675 245 0
SIMS : ROCKS ARE FREE, AND SLINGSHOTS EASILY STOLEN.
0 comments

Friday, May 19, 2006
Narcotized?

Some of you know what I do for a living, and some of you don't. I don't think it matters, really. But I work closely with a guy who is very bright, and has similar views politically, yet we're quite different, even in how we look at things where we agree.

Talking about things political is an amusing exercise, and I encourage people to do so, but I don't expect any positive change to come from any of it. I believe the system is too broken to wring any value out of it, but that doesn't stop me from railing on about any number of topics, be it the growing economic disparity in America, or the reduction of our civil liberties. These things (and many more) frustrate the hell out of me, and it's very easy to work myself up about them, explore possibilities, make inappropriate remarks, and enjoy the argument.

When the conversation is over, I'm done with it. I'm not angry, depressed, just done. And I can have another conversation immediately, if for some reason, someone actually wanted one. I think maybe I use it as a cerebral workout, but not much else.

Turns out, I'm not really so much of an activist. I used to go out and march, and counter-demonstrate, although, even then, a great deal of it was curiosity about the people standing opposite whose viewpoint I couldn't fathom. Now, I think I'm really more of an agitator. It's not that there aren't still causes I'd be willing to get smashed over the head to further, but I just understand now that the game is fixed, and I'd really rather not waste my time. There's a laziness component there, I will not deny, but even though I respect the passion of activists, I can't bring myself to share it. I will get you good and fired up about something, or at least force you to reexamine it, but you would have a tough time convincing me that change is possible in this day without armed revolution. If you aren't rich, you're on the wrong side of the ledger, and frankly, you've lost.

I still like to examine problems, and consider solutions, because I do believe that change is possible, but when demonstrators are penned in to "free speech zones" blocks or miles from the thing or person they are protesting, then it is an utter waste of time. I'm pretty sure that such zones are an inherent violation of the right to assemble peaceably, but I'm not an attorney, and it will be left up to attorneys to decide this, if anyone ever bothers to bring up a lawsuit about it.
Power respects only power.

I'm a bit tired, and I suppose when I'm better rested, I may take issue with some of what I've written here.

posted at 6:29 PM

maystar maystar maystar designs | maystar designs |
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com