0 9678 777 000 5675 245 0
SIMS : ROCKS ARE FREE, AND SLINGSHOTS EASILY STOLEN.
2 comments

Sunday, May 06, 2007
Christopher Hitchens

What can I say? I enjoy the hell out of Christopher Hitchens. I just saw him again the other night on the Charlie Rose Show, which is something I really need to remember to watch more often. And he was on after Bill Maher, so it was a total acerbic bonus.

Hitchens is an interesting fellow, at least from my perspective, because he's impossible to pin down politically or philosophically. He appears liberal in ways, especially in regard to civil liberties, yet supports the war in Iraq, while deriding Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld,Henry Kissinger, Ronald Reagan, and even Mother Teresa. He agrees with the Neo-Conservatives, severely criticizes Michael Moore, all the while declaring that Christian fundamentalists are a serious threat to America, who would prefer the Bible taught as literal truth in place of provable science.

He's a frequent guest on Maher's HBO show, Real Time with Bill Maher, and during his last appearance, as the closest thing to a conservative on the panel, was regularly booed, to which he responded by flipping off the audience and saying, "fuck you, fuck you."

That's a quality guest, if you ask me.

He's got a new book out called God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything and I'll probably go buy it. The title is either going to intrigue you or enrage you, which is fair to say about all of Hitchens' writing, be they essay or book. He's one of those people, like George Will, who I don't always agree with, but are intelligent enough that their reasoning merits consideration.

Speak a thought intelligently, and I'll consider it. Come at me with emotion or platitudes, and I become mentally absent.

You may not notice.

Labels:


posted at 8:45 PM

maystar maystar maystar designs | maystar designs |
Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com